Idli upma is a very simple and delicious dish made with leftover idlis.This is a very common breakfast dish in South India, which can be prepared in no time.You can prepare this upma even if your idlis are hard. But please do check “how to make soft idly’ video.
- Prep time – 5 mins
- Cook time -10 mins
- Serves – 2
- Leftover idly – 4 nos
- Shallots/Onions – 10 nos
- Mustards– 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal– 1/2 tsp
- Bengal gram– 1/2 tsp
- Peanuts– 15 nos
- Cashew nuts – 5 nos
- Curry leaves few
- Red chili – 1
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp
- Hing – generous pinch(Optional)
- Dip the idlis in a bowl of water and then Crumble it coarsely with your fingers in another bowl. Dipping it in a water gives moisture and soft texture to the crumbled idlis
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add bengal gram, urad dal, peanuts, cashew nuts, red chilies, hing and curry leaves.
- When dal turns golden brown, add finely chopped onions, green chilies, salt needed and saute till onions turns transparent and brown in color.
- Then add the crumbled idli, and mix well. Check for salt.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot sambar or chutney.
- Do not use hot idlis, as we will not be able to crumble it.
- Adjust red chili or add green chilies for extra spicy
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.