Bajji is our favorite tea time snack and also most enjoyed during rainy /winter /snow days. There are so many varieties of bajji’s we can make like Vazhakai bajji/Raw banana bajji, bread bajji, chili bajji, Potato Bajji and Onion Bajji.
Among all onion bhaji is quick and ready to make recipe anytime. It is very easy to prepare and has lot of flavors in it. It is best served with coconut chutney or any chutney varieties. Its my handy quick evening snack which can be made in less than 20 minutes.
- Prep time – 5 mins
- Cook time -30 mins
- Serves – 2 or 3
- Onion – 2
- Besan flour – 1 cup
- Rice flour – 1/4 cup
- Red Chili powder – 1 tbsp. (Kashmiri chili)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
- Ajwain – 1/4 tsp (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Peel and thinly slice the onions and keep it ready. You can also cut it length wise for variations
- Combine the besan flour, rice flour, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafetida, and salt in a wide bowl.
- Add water to this and mix it for 2 to 3 minutes, bring to a idli batter consistency. The batter should not be too thick nor watery. ( I added little less than 3/4 cup of water for 1 cup of besan)
- Add 2 tsp of hot oil to this. This will add crispiness to the outer layer and helps to avoid more oil consumption.
- Heat oil in a Pan/kadai for deep frying.
- Once the oil is heated, reduce the heat to medium. Now dip the thinly sliced onions in the bajji batter (see to it that it is well coated with the bajji batter) and drop it gently into the oil.
- Fry both sides until golden brown and remove it from the oil. Drain the excess oil and serve hot
Enjoy hot bajjis as such or with tomato ketchup, coconut chutney or green chutney.
- Alternatively, you can use any veggie of your choice like onion, potato, ridge gourd, eggplant etc. for making bajjis or even bread works.
- Adjust red chili powder as you need.
- Using Kashmiri red chili powder gives nice color to the bajji along with the spiciness. So that we do not need to add any food color.
- Do not add more baking soda. Just a pinch should work for this measurement.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
|Curd veg sandwich||https://youtu.be/c0igiUScTIU|
|Cheesy veg sandwich||https://youtu.be/9IiBcgo374A|
|Masala vadai Paruppu vadai||https://youtu.be/b7pUf5zgB6s|