TANGY AND SPICY Rasam Recipe – FOR DIGESTION
Main purpose of including Rasam in our food is for digestion. Yes, that’s absolutely right. We are just adding and leaving few items and calling it in different names as pepper rasam, garlic rasam, tomato rasam, paruppu / dal rasam. Basic formula is the same for Rasam. This one is particularly preparing in the villages for digestion purpose after the festival feast ( Kada virundu). Lets see the way of making Spicy and Tangy Rasam – Village style
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 2 – 3
- Tomato – 1 BIG SIZE finely chopped
- Tamarind – small gooseberry sized ball
- Whole black pepper – 2 tsp à TO GRIND
- Cumin seeds/Jeera seeds -1 tsp à TO GRIND
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp à TO GRIND
- Garlic – 4 TO 6 cloves à TO GRIND
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Salt – as needed
- Hing / Asafetida (optional)
- Oil as needed
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Red chilli – 2
- Grind together – Pepper, cumin seeds and coriander seeds; then add garlic and grind.
- Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water, extract its juice and throw the pulp.
- In a pan, add oil, mustard, cumin seeds, curry leaves, red chillies;
- Add grounded paste and saute for 2 mins
- Add chopped tomatoes and little salt; fry until it turns soft
- Add turmeric powder and water. Let it boil
- Once it started boiling, add some more water as per rasam consistenty and quantity; cook on medium flame
- Once froth starts forming on the top, switch off the gas. (do not boil the rasam ; it will not taste good).
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with steamed Rice 🙂
- This rasam helps in digestion after a heavy meal
- If you have ammi (indian traditional stone grinder , I would recommend to grind all the ingredients using ammi.
- Ghee give nice flavor to rasam. So if you like you can temper it with ghee.
- Adjust water quantity according to the thickness of the tamarind pulp.
- Dont let the rasam boil for more time which is important to make a good rasam.
- Adjust the red chillies /pepper according to your spice level.
Thank you for watching! 🙂 Please like & Subscribe 🙂