Appam is a very popular and traditional breakfast of south India. There are different ways of making appam batter. For example, kerala appam, parboiled rice appam,with coconut, with coconut milk, srilankan style appam,etc. But today I am going to share typical Tamilnadu style, especially Chettinad style appam recipe of making appams.
Appams are soft , spongy in the center and has a golden lacy border. It is very good for health as it does not require much oil and kind of steam cooking.
- Soak time – 4 hours
- Grinding time – 1 hour
- Fermentation – Overnight
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Par boiled rice – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4 cup (whole Urad dal without skin)
Appam batter preparation method:
- Rinse and Soak raw rice, par boiled rice, fenugreek seeds and Urad dal for 3 to 4 hours. Both the rice together and Urad dal, fenugreek seeds separately
- Then, grind fenugreek seeds first for 1 minute, add urad dal – grind for a minute and then add rice. (Add in the same order)
- Grind it to a fine batter; The batter should be of thinner consistency than dosa batter
- Add salt and mix it well with your hands. Fermentation overnight
- In the morning the appam batter would have raised nicely.
Let’s make appam now:
- Heat appam pan. (Can be iron skillet or non-stick pan)
- First coat the appam pan with oil using a cloth. (Add a drop of oil into the pan and wipe it all over with a cloth. DO NOT ADD MORE OIL)
- Heat the appam pan, then reduce the heat to low. Now add a ladle of batter in the center of the pan. (pan should not be too hot)
- Holding both the handles of the pan, rotate the pan in such a way that the batter spreads all around in a circle.
- Rotate only once. We should stop where we started
- The remaining batter will come to the center.
- So, appam should be thick in the center and lacy on the outside
- Now, close the pan with lid and cook on low flame.
- Once the appam is cooked, the edges started turning brown.
- Remove from the pan
Serve hot with sweetened coconut milk with little elaichi powder or Kurma.
Super soft spongy appam is ready!
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
|Cracked wheat Upma||https://youtu.be/OtAhmK8Mo6E|
|Cracked wheat Khichdi||https://youtu.be/ElE7Lh6PXkc|
|Ven pongal recipe||https://youtu.be/zPnceyXfPoU|
|Kuli paniyaram kara paniyaram dosa batter||https://youtu.be/WMnkmfCcTus|