Brussels sprouts is a very rare vegetable which encounters our kitchen counter. But after coming to USA, I am seeing this veggie in all shops and have been including in our diet very frequently. So, I started making many Indian style recipes out of it. It belongs to the same spices as that of cabbage. This can also be called as baby cabbage and in Tamil it is ‘ KalaiKosu’. Brussels sprouts a good source of protein, iron and potassium, and they also offer other benefits that can boost your overall health like Vitamin C, Fiber, Folate, antioxidants, and more.
Brussels sprouts subzi or stir fry can be made as simple as it is. This can be served with Roti or rice. But when we are in Low carb diet (Keto or Paleo), this can be consumed as a salad. Trust me this taste so good and can be eaten as a salad for lunch or dinner. It keeps you full for longer time when you eat it with coconut or cheese or paneer.
- Prep time – 10 mins
- Cook time – 20 to 30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Brussels sprouts – 450g
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Mustards – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal
- Cumin seeds
- Curry leaves
- Onion – 1/2
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
- Shredded coconut – 1/2 cup
- Wash Brussels sprouts and cut into pieces as you wish. As I want to have it as a salad, I am cutting into 4 pieces. You can also finely chop it.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet, when hot, add mustard, Urad dal cumin and Curry leaves and cook until start to pop.
- Add turmeric powder and chopped Brussels sprouts and toss well. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes until some edges get golden brown. Stir once or twice in between.
- Add 1/4 cup or more water. Cover and cook for 7 to 10 minutes or until it is tender and soft. This will steam the sprouts.
- Once the sprouts cooked well, add chili powder, cumin powder and let cook for another 5 mins
- Brussels sprouts is now ready to eat. But Optionally you can add half a cup of shredded coconut. This will enhance the taste and nutritional value.
- Garnish with coriander leaves
Eat them hot or cold. You can add grated cheese or paneer on top of it while serving.
- Adjust red chili powder as needed. As I want to want eat as a salad, I prefer to have it less spicy.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
|Creamy Cauliflower soup||https://youtu.be/eURH0crSCac|
|Sprouted moong dal dosa||https://youtu.be/yc9Sa35sIUo|
|Mutton Pepper fry||https://youtu.be/jbLQKQ9aPdw|