Have you ever felt bored of making regular chutneys like coconut chutney or tomato chutney or onion tomato chutney? If yes, no worries. Lot of creativity and innovation can be made in chutney. There comes the green bell pepper / Capsicum chutney. It tastes great with idli, dosa varieties. My favorite is a Lemon rice and capsicum chutney. 🙂 It can be used as a bread spread while making sandwiches and as a side dish for bajji and samosa. Let’s see how to make bell pepper chutney simple recipe.
- Prep Time : 10 mins
- Cook Time : 20 mins
- Serves: 2
- Onions – 1 nos
- Capsicum/green bell pepper – 1 nos
- Green chilies – 2 or as needed
- Urad dal – 1 tbspn
- Channa dal – 1 tbspn
- Gingelly oil – 4 tbspn
- Tamarind – marble size or little
- Coconut – 2 big tbspn or little
- Corriander leaves – few
- Salt needed
For the seasoning:
- Gingelly Oil -1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -3/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add channel dal and urad dal.
- Once it turns little brown, add sliced or roughly chopped onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
- Add garlic, green chilli and saute well on medium flame till the raw smell of garlic goes off.
- Add diced capsicum and cook till it becomes soft and its color changes to pale green
- Then add Coriander leaves and give a nice stir.
- Now add coconut and tamarind; give a quick stir and switch off the flame
- Allow the mixture to cool for some time
- Once the mixture cools down, add the mixture to a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste. Transfer it to a serving bowl. Keep aside.
- Seasoning: In a pan heat gingelly oil. Splutter mustard seeds and add urad dal; saute on medium flame till dal turns golden brown. Pour the tempering over the chutney.
- Delicious and tasty chutney is ready to be served with idly and dosa.
- Gingelly oil gives nice flavor to the chutney; But it is ok to use any cooking oil
- You can roughly cut the onion as we are going to fry and grind
- Shallots / Pearl onions will be more tasty
- Green chillies – You can add more if you prefer more spicy
Enjoy and let me know your experience 🙂
Subscribe HemsLobby.com Youtube channel.