Channa masala recipe|| Chole masala
Channa masala or Chole masala is a fantastic side dish for Roti / Chappathi or Puri or Nan Or Parotta. It is a classic vegetarian recipe prepared with white channa dal / Kabuli channa / Chole /Safed channa. This is a south indian version of Channa masala.
This gravy is a quick and healthy protein rich recipe which is a perfect match for Chappathi / Roti.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 – 20 mins
- Serves: 2
- Channa (white)/Kondai kadalai – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger – 2 inch pieces
- Garlic – 3 cloves or Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Corriander powder – 2tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin /Fennel powder – 1 tsp (Or cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp, fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp)
For the seasoning:
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 4 – 6
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Soak channa overnight or 8 hours and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles with little salt added. Channa should be soft. (Don’t waste the channa cooked water. Keep it aside, we can use it while making gravy)
- Chop onions and tomatoes roughly and keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add chopped onions. Cook until it turns transparent. Add ginger garlic paste (or garlic pods) and ginger pieces. Sauté.
- Add tomatoes, followed by spice powders: Chili powder, Coriander powder, Garam masala, Cumin/Fennel seeds or its powder, and little water to avoid burn. Fry until raw smell goes off. (We can make use of the channa cooked water); Let it cool for 5 minutes and grind it as a paste.
- Again, Heat oil in a pan, add the ingredients listed under Seasoning.
- Add the grounded paste, salt as needed, turmeric powder and water. We don’t need to boil/cook this masala, as it has already fried before grinding. Add cooked Channa and mix well.
- Close the lid and cook for 15 minutes on a medium flame until everything gets blended well with the masala.
- After 15 mins, add few drops of lemon juice for tangy taste. (Or we can also use pinch of amchur powder along with spice powders); Garnish with one spoon of ghee and coriander leaves
Serve hot Roti / Chappathi/Indian flat bread or Parotta /Nan.