- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 – 50 mins
- Serves: 3 to 4
- Chicken – 1/2 kg / 500 gms
- Onion(big) – 2 nos (sliced thinly)
- Tomato – 2 nos (cubed)
- Ginger garlic Paste – 2 tbsp.
- Curry Leaves a small handful
- Oil – 2 tblspn
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Lemon Juice – 2 tbsp.
- Coriander Leaves / Cilantro – chopped finely
Chettinad masala – to grind:
- Coriander Seeds / Malli – 3 tbsp.
- Dry Red Chilli – 5 or as required
- Fennel Seeds / Sombu – 2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds / Jeerakam – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon Stick / Pattai – 5 cm stick
- Whole Peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Cardamom Pods / Yelakai – 5
- Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
- Cloves / Krambu – 4
- Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup grated and packed
- Wash and clean the chicken well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice to chicken and mix well. Let it marinate for 15 to 20 mins.
- Thinly slice Onions and cube the tomatoes.
Chettinad masala /Grinding Masala:
- Dry roast all the spices except coconut in a pan till it turns golden.
- Once it turns golden add in coconut and roast till the coconut turns light golden.
- Remove them to a mixer and grind them to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Add onions and sauté with little salt until it turns soft
- Add marinated chicken and mix well
- Add cubed tomatoes and give a quick stir
- Cover the cooker and cook it for 2 whistles, simmer for 10 mins. Switch off the heat and let them steam go all by itself.
- Open the cooker and transfer the cooked chicken to a kadai/Pan. Add more water if needed.
- Add the ground masala and mix well. Let it boil for 5 to 10 minutes
- Now, Cover and simmer for 10 mins. Consistency of the gravy is as you wish.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves.
- Adjust red chilli and pepper corns as required
- You can also add 3 pieces of Kalpasi / Black Stone Flower while grinding masala
This is one of popular dish in my home for roti and parotta. The taste of gravy will be real chettinad taste as we are using fresh spices and not the store bought one.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.