Curd Rice | Leftover Rice Recipe and Potato fry
Is there a recipe for curd rice? I could hear your mind voice :P. Just like me, many of you likes to end the meal with curd rice. Are you? I know many of my friends who are mad at curd rice. They would do anything for delicious curd rice. Adding curd to the rice makes a curd rice. I agree. But making it even more delicious and mouthwatering is the trick.
Curd Rice or Thayir Sadam in South India, is very common food in South India. It is quick to make, light on stomach and can be enjoyed at any time of the day. Curd Rice is best served chilled and can be made with fresh or leftover rice.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serves: 2
- 1 cup cooked plain/white rice
- 1 cup or more fresh curd
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds / Kadugu
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1/2 tsp urad daal
- 2 green chillies & 1 Red chilli
- 3-6 Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Hing / Asafoetida powder / Perungayam – little bit
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed (or about 1/4 cup)
- In a mixing bowl, add curd and whisk it well. Add water as needed based on the consistency required.
- Pressure cook the left-over rice for just 1 whistle, by adding little water. Once cooked, smash it well and keep it aside; Let it cool for few mins
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds, Urad dal, Cumin seeds
- Once it has crackled, add green chilies, red chili and curry leaves
- Add finely chopped Ginger to it.
- And pinch or half a tsp of hing / perungayam powder
- Pour the tempering prepared to the cooked rice and mix well.
- Now, add salt as needed and the whisked curd to it and mix everything together.
- Serve hot or cold with the Potato fry 🙂
- To cook the left-over rice: For 1 cup of rice, half of that cup water should be fine; So that rice will be cooked soft and fluffy.
- Some people like to temper the curd rice with Ghee; It adds different flavor too.
- While serving, sprinkle pomegranate fruit on the curd rice.
- Storage and Shelf Life – Nothing to talk about it. Already it is a left-over rice curd rice. So, no more to the refrigerator. 🙂
Thank you for watching! 🙂 Please like & Subscribe the HemsLobby you-tube Channel 🙂