EGG CURRY / EGG KULAMBU– PERFECT RECIPE FOR BREAKFAST,LUNCH AND DINNER
Egg curry can be made in many ways. In particular, the chettinad egg curry is the best one among all ( to me). This one is a simple recipe that we can make with simple ingredients. We don’t need to spend more time on preparation. That is why we are going to simple drop the eggs in boiling kulambu/gravy instead of hard boiling it.
Let’s see the recipe:
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serves: 4
- Raw eggs – 4 nos
- Onion(medium) – 1 nos
- Tomato – 1 nos
- Green chili – 1
- Chili powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt needed
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
For the seasoning:
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cloves –7 nos
- Fennel seeds / Soambu – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves
- In a frying pan, add oil and the seasoning items listed above
- Add onions and cook until it turns transparent; Add ginger garlic ( GG paste forst and then onion or Onion first and GG paste -Either way should be fine); Add tomatoes and salt
- Once onion and tomatoes cooked well – soft and mushy; add all the spice powders – chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder; add little water for it to cook. Once the raw smell of chili powder goes off, add more water and bring it to boil; check for salt and add as needed
- Once boiled, reduce the flame; Break the egg one by one and drop it in the boiling gravy; Make sure that white and egg yolk doesn’t get mixed up. We need to drop the egg wholly. (Please watch my video for this step).
- Close with lid and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes in medium flame; Keep checking if the egg is cooked and for burnt at the bottom
- Once the egg is cooked well, add coconut milk and mix well. When it start boiling, switch off the flame
- Close the lid and keep the gravy as it is for another 30 – 60 minutes; so that kulambu / gravy will gets thicken
That’s it. Our Egg Kulambu/ Egg gravy is ready to serve. Steamed rice, Dosa, Idly, Uttappam etc. Let me know if you like this recipe.
- We can also add the boiled egg in this gravy. If so, cooking time will be reduced.
- Skip coconut milk and Tamarind extract. This will give different flavor. If you are adding tamarind extract means, add it along with the spice powders
- Storage and Shelf Life – will stay good for 2 days in the refrigerator. Since we have added coconut, don’t over heat it next day. Just make it warm and use.
Thank you :). Please subscribe the YouTube channel for notifications.