When I am bored of idli and dosa, and out of mood to cook, first thing I prefer for breakfast dinner would be kuli paniyaram. Like idly dosa, this is easily digestible. Loved by both kids and adults equally. You can prepare this paniyaram with the regular idli or dosa batter. You can have this as a tea time snack also, can be packed for kid’s lunch box/snack box.
Coconut chutney or Tomato chutney with paniyaram makes a light breakfast or dinner. It can be prepared in a minute, if you have idly batter and paniyaram pan with you. We can also make sweet version of it by adding jaggery syrup to the thick batter. Today we will learn how to make Kuli / Kuzhi paniyaram (spicy version) following this easy recipe.
- Prep time – 10 mins
- Cook time -20 mins
- Serves – 2
- Idli/Dosa batter – 2 cups
- Paniyaram Pan
- Oil -3 tsp or as required
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Bengal gram dal (kadalai paruppu) – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1
- Green chili -1 finely chopped
- Ginger -1-inch piece – finely chopped (Optional)
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Grated coconut – 1 cup (Optional)
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add Urad dal and Bengal gram dal. Once dal turns golden brown, add finely chopped onions, ginger, green chili and curry leaves.
- Sauté until onions turns light pink, add required salt and finely chopped coriander leaves
- Once it is cool a little, add it to a batter and mix well
- Heat a paniyaram pan, add few drops of oil in each hole and pour a tbsp of batter in each hole. You can use tumbler to pour the batter which will be easy to pour
- Cook on medium low flame and close the pan. Once the edges turn golden brown, flip over the paniyaram to the other side using a stainless-steel rod or spoon or even knife works.
- Cook the other side also until golden brown.
- Remove from pan.
Nice crispy crunchy Kuzhi Paniyaram – very popular dish in Tamilnadu is ready to serve.
- Nonstick paniyaram pans does not requires much oil. Whereas iron pan required enough oil to avoid burnt and for crispiness
- You can also add grated carrot white sautéing. We can add other veggies also like cabbage, beets or even paneer. It makes more colorful and nutritious
- Avoid green chilies for kids
- Using pearl onion gives even more flavor and taste
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.