This is one of the easiest and tasty chutney for Idly dosa. Just with onion and tomatoes we can make it in 15 minutes. I learnt this recipe from my brother Mani anna :); He loves to cook (this chutney) anytime. So, it is branded and popular as ‘mani’s chutney’ in our home.
- Prep Time : 10 mins
- Cook Time : 15 mins
- Serves: 2
- Onions – 1 no
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Red chilies – 5 to 6 or as needed
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil – 2 tbspn
- Tamarind (optional) – marble size or little
- Salt needed
For the seasoning
- Gingelly Oil -1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -3/4 tsp
- Heat oil in a pan, add Urad dal;
- Once it turns little brown, add red chillies
- Then add onion, tomatoes, salt as needed
- Cook until it is soft and mushy
- Allow it to cool and grind
- Add oil in a sauté pan, mustard and urad dal; Once it is splutters add it to the chutney
- Gingelly oil is very good for health and it also enhances the taste
- You can roughly cut the onion and tomatoes as we are going to fry and grind
- Red chillies – You can add more if you prefer more spicy
- Tamarind – It is an optional one. But i prefer to add little. It will give more sour taste.
- For one big onion, 2 big tomatoes or 3 medium size tomatoes
- Avoid adding more water to grind. Very little or no water should be fine
- Storage: I would prefer using it as fresh only. If we refrigerate the freshness of this chutney will be little missing. So, I will always make very little as need. If you refrigerate, that’s fine. But not more than 1 day.
- We can add more ingredients like ginger, coconut, mint, coriander leaves to this chutney and change the flavor; Will add quick video on the variation.
Enjoy and let me know your experience 🙂