Poondu Kulambu / Garlic Kulambu
Poondu Kuzhambu is one of traditional and tasty kuzhambu. Mouthwatering by its name itself. Softly cooked Garlic with tamarind sourness will be heavenly to eat. It matches well with White rice, Appalam and Cocunut /Thengai thovayal. Left over kulambu on next day will be even more tastier for curd rice. Oh, my god. No words to explain that. Be lavish to add more sesame oil for this Kulambu , as it takes it to the next level in taste.
- Prep Time : 15 mins
- Cook Time : 30 mins
- Serves: 2
- Onions – 2 nos
- Tomato – 2 nos
- Garlic / Poondu – 15 – 20 Pods
- Tamarind – Golf size ball
- Chilli powder – 4 tbspn
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt neededFor the seasoning
- Gingelly Oil -3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Fennel seeds -3/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 tsp
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 20 minutes. Then extract the juice and remove the pulp.
- Peel the onions and garlic and cut it into half if it is big. And cut the tomatoes and keep everything ready
- Heat sesame oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add fennel seeds and fenugreek seeds, and then curry leaves.
- Then onions and saute nicely for a few minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook until Onion tomatoes becomes soft.
- Once it is mushed, add garlic pods
- Add chilli powder, salt and tamarind water and bring it to boil.
- Keep it on medium flame and cook till it thickens and oil separates.
- Use only sesame seed oil for best results.
- Small onions / Pearl onions is the best choice for these kind of recipes
- You can also add vegetables like drumsticks, brinjal to it.
- I have used homemade chilli powder, which is not hot, if using store bought chilli powder, use a little less. Or you can also add coriander powder.
- Storage – This kuzhambu will stay good for 4-5 days in the refrigerator. Store it in a stain steel container or good quality tupper ware box. Saute in the sesame oil for freshness before use.
Thank you for visiting. Please subscribe my you tube channel for more recipes and updates.
Questions and feedback?
Have a wonderful day!