There are many more biryani recipes. This is one of easy and super tasty chicken biryani. Especially when we prepare for more than 5 or more servings. I learnt it from my friend Vino, as she is a super expert in making this biryani for pot lucks and parties. You can also make mutton biryani with this same recipe. Of course, mutton biryani wins as always J. Even children likes this biryani flavor as it has nice aroma and flavor. Since we are making this using seeraga samba rice it tastes even more better.
Let’s see how we can make Seeraga samba Chicken Biryani – Ramzan special
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins (including Rice soaking time 30 minutes)
- Serves: 4
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Onion medium – 2 nos
- Tomato medium– 2 nos
- Green chili – 3
- Ghee as needed
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves – 1 cup
- Mint leaves – 1 cup
- Seeraga samba rice – 1 cup
- Curd – 1 tbsp.
- Bay leaves – 1 small or medium size
- Cinnamon – 2-inch piece
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Whole pepper corns – 1 tbsp.
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 tbsp.
- Red chilies – 6 nos
- Ginger – 2 inch pieces – 2 nos
- Garlic – 8 – 10 nos
- Cashew nuts – 6
For the Seasoning:
- Cinnamon – 1-inch piece
- Cloves – 4 pieces
- Cardamom – 1
- Bay Leaves – 1
- Few Curry leaves
- Ghee – 2 tsp
- For 1 cup of Rice = 1 and 1/2 cups of water
- 1 cup of rice here is equals 400gms of rice or one full size tea cup size
- Wash and clean the chicken well; keep it aside
- Soak rice for 30 minutes. You can soak it when you start making Biryani. When time comes to add rice, you can drain and add.
- Chop Onions and tomatoes length wise
- Grind all the ingredients listed under “To Grind” with enough water to a nice paste
- Wash and clean the coriander leaves and Mint leaves; Chop coriander leaves for garnishing and stir; We can use Mint leaves as it is for briyani
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add the seasoning items listed above
- Add onions first and fry until brown and half of mint and coriander leaves
- Add green chilies, tomatoes and salt; cook until ghee separates
- Add masala paste and mix well. Little water and 2 tbsp. of oil helps to avoid burnt. Let it cook for 5 minutes
- After 5 minutes, add curd and chicken; Mix well
- Cook on a medium flame with lid for 15 minutes or until chicken cooks 80%
- Once chicken cooked well and blend with the masala, add salt as needed and soaked seeraga samba rice; Mix
- For 1 cup of rice , 1 1/2 cup of water is a measurement. But already the chicken has left some water. Considering that as ½ cup of water, adding only 1 cup of water now
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and keep it in the gas stove itself until pressure subsides
- Garnish with the coriander leaves and ghee
Yummy delicious biryani is ready to serve with Onion Raita.
- Coconut milk is optional. You can measure coconut milk + water as and 1/2 cup of water for cup rice
- Adjust the green chilies as per your need
- If you are using basmati rice, soak it for at least 15 minutes; 1 cup rice – 2 cup water
- You can also dry roast all the spices before you grind
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.