MANGO SAMBAR RECIPE | SOUTH INDIAN RECIPE
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm….. yummyyyyyyyyyy and mouth watering feel just by its name: “ MANGO”.
Mango season has already started and easily available in the market now. What else could be a great joy for mango lovers like me. Variety of mango dishes can be made like mango pachadi, mango rice, mango shake, etc. One of such favorite is mango smabar.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 4
- Toor dal / Thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup / 1 tumbler
- Onion – 1 chopped
- Tomato – 1 chopped
- Green chilli – 1
- Turmeric powder – tsp
- Sambar powder – 1 tbsp
- Hing / asafetida – a pinch
- Salt & Water – As needed
- Coriander leaves
- Oil as needed
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Curry Leaves – few
- Pressure cook toor dal for 4 whistles (2 cups of water for 1 cup of dal), a pinch of asafoetida , turmeric powder and few drops of oil. Mash it once done and keep aside.
- Meanwhile wash the Mango and cut into cubes. Even bigger size works well for sambar. So it is your choice.
- Chop onions, tomatoes and keep all the ingredients ready
- Heat an oil in the cooker pan; add chopped onions , fry till transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and fry till soft.
- Now add, Mango and saute for few minutes
- Add turmeric powder, Sambar powder; Add little water and mix well
- Add the cooked and mashed dal now;
- Add enough water and salt as needed; Pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Heat kadai and temper with the items given under ‘to temper’ and add it to the sambar
- Let Sambar boil for 5 minutes in a medium flame and Garnish with Coriander leaves.
- Use only Raw mango – Mango should be hard, green , young and unripe; Ripen mango gives sweet taste to the sambar
- Do not overcook the mango; Just the flesh part of mango should cook soft and don’t worry about the skin.
- I don’t use Tamarind for this sambar, as mango by itself is tangy.
- You can add drumstick in this sambar which will give an amazing flavor (Vera level ).
- Alternative method: From Step 9: You just boil it in the pan itself for 10 minutes, instead of pressure cook. But I love to do it for 1 whistle as it helps to extract the complete flavor of mango in the sambar.
Thank you for watching! 🙂 Please like & Subscribe 🙂