TOMATO RICE / THAKKALI SADHAM – EASY AND QUICK RECIPE
Tomato rice or Thakkai sadham is a popular south indian style rice preparation. And my all-time favorite too. Because, tasty and quick recipe 🙂 This tomato rice is so easy to make and it makes a great dish to put in lunch box. Simple onion raita or curd is enough to serve with it. Definitely it tastes heavenly.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 – 30 mins
- Serves: 4
- Onion(big) – 1 nos
- Tomato – 4 nos
- Chilli powder – 2 tbspn
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic crushed / Paste – 2 tsp
- Salt needed
- Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Green chilli – 1
- Coriander leaves
- Rice – 1 cup or 2 tumblers
For the seasoning:
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Cloves –3 nos
- Cardomom – 2 nos
- Fennel seeds / Soambu – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Soak rice for 20 minutes, drain the water completely and keep it aside. If you are using normal parboiled rice means, can be cooked without soaking also.
- Chop tomatoes and cut onions
- Extract coconut milk
- Keep all the ingredients ready
- In a pressure cooker, add oil and the seasoning items listed above
- If crushed ginger garlic, add it first and then onions and cook until it turns transparent
- If Ginger garlic paste, add onions first and then ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell goes off
- Add green chillies , tomatoes and salt
- Once onion and tomatoes sautéed well, add the spice powders – chilli powder, garam masala and turmeric powder. Let it cook for 2 mins.
- Cook till tomatoes become little mushy
- Add the drained rice and saute for 5 mins in low flame
- Measure coconut milk and water together as 5 cups for 2 cups of rice ( I need the rice to be cooked more soft and not fluffy. If you want you can make it as 4 and half)
- pressure cook for 3 whistles. When the pressure subsides, open it and fluff it well.
- Garnish with the coriander leaves.
- Coconut milk is optional. If you don’t like or no time make, just ignore it and add water alone
- Adjust the green chilles and chilli powder as per your need
- If you want fluffier like Pulao, use Biriyani / Basmati rice and reduce the water content accordingly
- If you are using basmati rice, soak it for at least 15 minutes
- Ginger garlic paste is also fine. But crushed ginger garlic tastes different and ncie
- Storage and Shelf Life – Since we are adding coconut milk, better not to refrigerate; Otherwise there is no issue to store for next day.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.