Bisi bele bath recipe – bisi bele bath is a tasty, flavourful dish from Karnataka, prepared using rice, toor dal, vegetables and a special spice blend. The name Bisi bele bath itself means hot lentil rice (sambar rice, Karnataka style)
- Prep time – 30 mins
- Cook time -30 mins
- Serves – 2
- Raw rice or sona masoori – 1/2 cup, heaped
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Water – 4 cups
- Tamarind – 1 tsp packed
- Small onion, shallots – 10 nos
- Tomatoes – 1
- Potato – 1
- Beans – 8 strings
- Carrot – 1/2
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
To dry roast and Grind:
- Red chili (baydgi variety/shrinked one) – 5
- Red chili – 2 (Optional)
- Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Asafetida – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1/2-inch piece
- Clove – 1
- Star anise – 1/4
- Dry coconut – 1 tbsp.
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – ¼ tsp
- Dry chilies – 2
- Coriander leaves
- Curry leaves
- Peel shallots and chop veggies of your choice
- Heat ghee, fry cashew nuts until golden and keep aside for garnish.
- In the same kadai, add all the ingredients under “To dry roast and Grind”. Make sure to roast in low or medium flame to avoid burning.
- Powder the roasted ingredients once cooled, into a fine powder.
- In a pressure cooker, add some ghee or oil; Saute onions for sometimes and add veggies one by one and saute.
- When the veggies are half cooked add turmeric powder, roasted masala powder and tamarind extract. Bring it to boil. Check for salt
- Once boil, add water: Rice+Dal is 3/4 cup. So add 4 cups of water and bring it to boil. Make sure the water is little salty so that it will be fine cooked with rice and dal
- When boiling, add washed Rice and Dal together. Give a stir.
- Pressure cook in a medium flame for 3 or 4 whistles.
- Garnish coriander leaves, fried cashews and ghee
Serve hot with onion raita, or appalam vadam or some crispy potato chips. Enjoy hot!
- You can add any vegetables of your choice like avarakkai, vazhakkai, mochai payaru, peas
- Adjust red chili as you prefer
- Add enough water to attain perfect consistency. If you are using raw rice, add extra water, as raw rice gets thicker.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
|Curd rice – left over rice||https://youtu.be/V8a4R_dXIbg|
|Barnyard millet curd rice||https://youtu.be/s54Q1l50R0I|
|Egg fried rice||https://youtu.be/6h2OKr6NRiQ|