Kothu Parotta is a popular South Indian street food delicacy. Kothu Parotta is mostly sold at small restaurants or by street vendors and is popular in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Making kothu parotta is very easy if using store bought parottas. Making parottas from scratch can be time consuming, so either you can make it from scratch or go with the effortless way of using the store bought parottas.
- Prep time – 10 mins
- Cook time -20 mins
- Serves – 2 to 3
- Parotta – 5
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Mustards – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves few
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilies – 2
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- Egg – 2
- Chicken gravy – 1/2 cup (along with boneless chicken pieces)
- Finely chop onions, tomatoes; slit green chilies
- Finley chop parottas using knife or scissors.
- If you are using frozen parottas, then microwave it for a minute to thaw it, before cutting it into pieces.
- Heat 3 tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add Urad dal, Fennel seeds and Curry leaves.
- Then, add finely chopped onions, green chili and ginger garlic paste. Sauté until onions turns light brown
- Now add the masala powders: turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder. Add little water to avoid burn and mix it
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes to it; add little salt and cook until tomatoes are soft, raw smell of masala powder goes off
- Add finely chopped parottas and mix everything well, so that all the masalas get coated in parottas
- Now spread it evenly in a pan and sprinkle little water on it; Let it cook for 2 to 5 mins on a low medium flame. So that parotta gets soft and soaked in masala
- Now, use half of the pan to scramble the 2 eggs. When it is scrambles mix it along with parottas.
- Add half a cup of chicken gravy / Kuzhambu along with boneless chicken pieces.
- Now, using a sharp edge vessels/tumbler or using a spatula mix it well, so that everything gets mixed well and mashed too. (Please refer the video)
- Check for salt and spiciness. If needed, you can add pepper powder. Let it cook for another 5 mins.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and remove from pan
Spicy and tasty kothu parotta is ready to serve along with Curd or Raita
- I have used frozen or ready made parotta which is easy and effortless. But If you want, you can make it from scratch
- Adjust green chili, red chili powder and pepper powder (Take care not to add too much of these three. Also avoid green chili for kids)
- you could use leftover chicken curry instead of cooking the chicken separately. Heat up the chicken curry before use
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
Chettinad chicken curry https://youtu.be/8Rc9-0U3XyA
Chicken Salna for Parotta https://youtu.be/Pd7dvHM4NkQ
Egg curry https://youtu.be/MD4su6QtSUo
Erode Pallipalayam Chicken https://youtu.be/YOKnuUFS-ZI
Uppu Kari mutton https://youtu.be/nyGBgIgGiRE
Egg fried rice https://youtu.be/6h2OKr6NRiQ
Chicken Manchurian https://youtu.be/Uh-1Sj_1Iys