SAAMAI ARISI VEN PONGAL / LITTLE MILLET PONGAL RECIPE
Samai Pongal (Little Millet Pongal) is a delicious and healthy pongal variation. Best suited for breakfast, it is best served hot with sambar and chutney.
- Little millet in English
- Kutki in Hindi
- Sama in telugu
- Saame in Kannada
- Chama in Malayalam
Let’s see the recipe:
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serves: 2 – 3
- Saamai arisi / Little Millet – 1 cup
- Moong dal- 1/2 cup
- Water – 4 – 5 cups
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Hing / Perungayam – 2 pinch
For the seasoning:
- Ghee – 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 1 inch (finley chopped)
- Curry leaves – few
- Peppercorn – 1/2 tbsp
- Green chili – 1
- Salt to taste
- Wash the millet rice and moong dal.
- Put this mixture in a cooker with water and cook for 4 whistle. (water ratio: 1 cup of Rice; 1/2 cup of dal = 4 to 5 cup of water;
- Heat pan with ghee then add cumin seeds, pepper corns, ginger, curry leaves, green chili, Pepper powder and hing powder, then cut off heat.
- Add this to cooked rice and dal mixture. Then add salt and ghee mix well.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and Sambar.
Very very healthy and easy Pongal is ready 🙂
- Another method: You can directly be seasoning it in the pressure cooker and add measured water; once it started boiling, add washed rice and dal; and pressure cook for 4 whistles
- We can dry roast the moong dal, before we pressure cook it. It will add more flavor.
- Ghee plays important role in Pongal recipe. So even if you are not comfortable with ghee, consider adding a half a spoon
- Few cashew nuts can be fried in a spoon of ghee and added to the Pongal before serving.