Tamarind rice recipe / Puli sadam
Tamarind rice / Puli sadam is an easy delicious lunch box recipe. Not only lunch box, the best lunch for travel and picnic. This recipe is my all-time favorite. Because we can store it for several days in a clean bottle and can be readily mixed with rice.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5
- Serves: 4
For Puliodarai mix powder:
- Channa dal / Kadalai parupu – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal, Ulunthu – 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Pepper corns – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilies – 3 -5 nos
- Hing / Asafoetida / perungkaayam – 1/2 tsp
For Puliodarai mix:
- Gingelly Oil / Nallennai – 3 to 6 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tbsp
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Hing / Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red Chilies – 2 or 3
- Curry leaves – few leaves
- Peanuts – 1/4 cup
- 1 big lemon sized Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Cooked rice
Step 1: Dry roast on a medium flame: Channa dal and urad dal first. When the color changes slightly, add remaining items under ‘Mix Puliodarai powder ingredients”.
- Roast until you feel the nice aroma.
- Turn off the heat and add Asafoetida powder and let it cool.
- Once the mixture cools down grind it into a fine powder.
Step 2: Heat Gingelly oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once it splutters add channa dal, urad dal, dry red chilies and curry leaves, asafoetida powder, turmeric powder and the peanuts. Roast until the peanuts are nicely roasted.
Step 3: Add the tamarind extract juice. (Soak tamarind in hot water for 30 minutes and extract the juice.)
Step 4: Once the raw smell of tamarind goes, add the grinded mix powder
Step 5: Let it cook and boil on a medium flame until the oil separates and it reaches thick consistency
Our Puliodharai mix paste is ready now. Mix required amount of this paste into the cooked rice and add little gingelly oil for extra flavor. Salt can be added if needed.
- This mix can be stored in a clean bottle for a week time
- If it is tangy, add little jaggery to it
- Reduce or add red chilies as you need
- Use gingelly oil for traditional taste and flavor
- Cook on a medium flame; Otherwise it will become thick quickly, but raw smell will not go
- We have to use more oil for this so that we can store it in fridge for few days
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.