Kuthiraivali Upma | Barnyard millet Upma | Millets recipes
Millets have lot of health benefits and getting popular now. Barnyard millet known as kuthiravali in Tamil, Oodalu in Kannada, odalu in Telugu, Jhangora in Hindi, Kavadapullu in Malayalam and Barnyard millet in English. Like other millets, barnyard millets are gluten free and vegan cereals. In north India, it is called as Samak / Swang. Kuthiraivali or barnyard millet is one of such millets that we can consume regularly in our diet. We can make upma, Pongal, paniyaram dosai and many. Here, I am sharing the upma recipe. Kuthiraivali upma recipe is a healthy breakfast recipe. The method is very similar like rava upma . We can add veggies of our choice. This barnyard millet is more nutritious and good for our health.
- Prep Time : 10 mins
- Cook Time : 15 – 30 mins
- Serves: 2
Ingredients needed :-
- Barnyard millet / Kuthiraivali– 1 cup / 1 tumbler
- Water – 2 1/2 cups
- Onions – 1 nos
- Cooking oil – 3 tbspn
- Ghee – 1 tbspn
- Salt needed
- Beans and Carrot – 1/3 cup
- Coriander leaves few leaves
- Green chilli – 1
- Pea nuts – 2 big tbsp. or as needed
- Mustard – 3/4 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tblsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash the millet once or twice or more and drain water completely. Keep aside
- Chop onions, beans and carrot
- Roasted pea nut will be good to crunch; Otherwise no issues. We can just saute while seasoning
- Heat oil in a pan, add channa dal first, Urad dal and then add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add roasted pea nuts, and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onions and green chilli.
- Saute until onions turn transparent.
- Add chopped carrot and beans; Stir welll for 2 mins
- Add 2 ½ cup of water and needed salt. Taste the water to check for salt. The water should be slightly salty now.
- When water starts boiling, reduce the heat, add washed millet;
- Keep the flame low and close with a lid or plate.
- Let it cook in simmer for 5 to 8 mins. Then open and check if all water is absorbed. If it is done garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with coconut chutney or sambar.
- Serve with Sambar or chutney; Coconut chutney will be even more perfect.
- Kuthiravali millet used to absorb more water. So, you can add 2 ½ cups of water for 1 cup of millet instead of 2 cup.
- Add potato, cabbage or any veggie of your choice.
- Adjust the salt as of your taste.
- One Green chilli is enough for one cup. If you are spice lover, add one more. We can use red chillies too.
Stay healthy 🙂 Thanks for your time. Please like and share this video to your friends and Subscribe my you tube channel 🙂