Mushroom Biryani Recipe in Pressure Cooker – Kalan Briyani – Variety rice – South Indian style
Mushroom Biryani Recipe in Tamil with English Subtitles. Mushroom is known as ‘Kaalaan (Kalan)’. Mushrooms are the rich source of proteins, vitamins, irons and other healthy nutrients too.
This mushroom biryani recipe is an easy recipe which is prepared with homemade coconut milk or just water in a pressure cooker. Coconut milk is the key ingredient of making the biryani more flavorful & yummy. This is a one pot mushroom biryani since there is no need of any grinding process. This would be the best mushroom biryani for mushroom lovers ever.
There are so many varieties of mushrooms available in the market but button mushroom would go well for this mushroom biryani. I have used basmati rice here. But you can also use seeraga samba rice instead of basmati rice for making this yummy biryani.
You should also try this rice varieties: Coconut milk rice, Vegetable Pulao, Tamarind rice
Let us learn how to make yummy mushroom biryani or kalan biryani recipe in a pressure cooker.
- Prep time – 15 mins
- Cook time -30 to 45 mins
- Serves – 2 – 3
- Basmati Rice or Seeraga Samba Rice – 1 Cup
- Button Mushroom / Kaalaan – 10 to 15
- Coconut Milk / Thengai Paal or Water – 2 Cups
- Small Onions / Shallots – 1/2 Cup sliced thinly or 1 Big onion
- Tomato – 1 Chopped
- Thick Curd / Yogurt – 1 tbsp (Optional)
- Lemon Juice – 2 to 3 tsp
- Ghee / Clarified Butter – 2 tbsp
- Mint Leaves & Coriander Leaves – 1 handful chopped
- 2-inch Ginger + 6 Garlic pods + 6 Small onions
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Fennel Seed / Sombu or Perunjeeragam – 1 tsp
- Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves / Kirambu – 4
- Cinnamon / Pattai – 1 piece
- Star Anise / Natchathira Sombu – 1
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. If you use seeraga samba rice, soak in water for more than 30 minutes.
- Take button mushrooms in a bowl, wash in running water and wipe it off using a paper towel. Cut lengthwise
- Heat oil & ghee in a pressure cooker together. Add bay leaf, fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon and cloves and saute for few seconds. Add sliced onions and sauté it until turns to translucent or light golden color.
- Add ginger garlic onion paste and saute it until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes with little salt and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, and garam masala powder and stir it until the oil separates.
- Once the oil separates, add washed and cut mushrooms. You can add thick curd at this stage and mix well. Then pour 2 cups of coconut milk.
- (Ratio of Rice: Coconut Milk/Water = 1: 2)
- Add required salt and stir it once. Allow the coconut milk or water to boil for sometimes.
- Drain the water completely from the soaked rice and add into boiling mix along with a handful of mint and coriander leaves.
- Squeeze the lemon juice, stir it and close the cooker lid and wait for 1 whistle. After 1 whistle simmer it for 5 minutes and then switch off the stove. Don’t disturb it for 5 more minutes or until steams subsides. Then open the lid and gently stir the rice using a fork. Do not over mix the rice can be broken up.
Yummy & flavorful mushroom biryani is ready now. Serve hot along with any gravy and onion raita.
- You can also sauté the soaked rice in a tsp of ghee for a flavor.
- Adjust red chili as you prefer
- You can also add coconut milk instead of 2 cups water, which gives more flavor and taste.
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the Hems Lobby You Tube channel.
|Coconut milk rice||https://youtu.be/oYBbfyqY6nw|
|Curd rice – left over rice||https://youtu.be/V8a4R_dXIbg|
|Barnyard millet curd rice||https://youtu.be/s54Q1l50R0I|
|Egg fried rice||https://youtu.be/6h2OKr6NRiQ|
|sambar sadam bisibelebath||https://youtu.be/hS-WmT9rxt0|