Upma is always a handy and quick breakfast recipe. Though many of us do not like upma and turn the face away for upma, it has to be considered in our diet atleast twice in a week. Not just with Sooji/Semolina. Let make it with different millets too. I have already posted the recipe of Barnyard millet / Kuthiraivali upma. Today we are going to taste the Thinai upma/Foxtail millet upma. As we are adding vegetables to it, no need to worry about the complete nutrition required.
So,with no doubt this is a healthy and tasty breakfast. I hope you will like it.
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 30 mins
Yields – 2 or 3
- Thinai / foxtail millet – 1/2 cup
- Onion medium – 1
- Green chili (deseeded) – 1
- Carrot medium – 1
- Peas – 1/4 cup
- Potato medium – 1
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder (Optional)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Mustards – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Water – 2 cups
- Wash the thinai / foxtail millet 3 to 4 times and drain the water
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan, add mustards, urad dal, cumin seeds and curry leaves
- Add chopped onion, green chili and little salt; saute until it is brown golden color
- Add Carrots, potato and peas. Sprinkle some water cook until it is half cooked
- Add washed and drained millet; mix well and let is cook for 2 to 3 minutes
- Now add 2 cups of water to it. Check for salt and let the water be little salty; And bring it to boil
- Measurement: 1 measure Foxtail millet = 4 measures water
- Close the lid and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until it is cooked soft and fluffy
- Add coriander leaves and serve hot with Coconut chutney
Healthy and tasty thinai / Foxtail millet upma is ready now.
- Four measures of water helps the millets to get cooked soft as well as fluffy. This is the measurement I have arrived after so many trial and errors experiment.
- You can add more veggies if you want; Beans, cauliflower, broccoli etc
- Adjust green chili as you need. I like it to be de seed before adding it in upma, as we don’t like the green chili seeds to be tasted in upma.
- Pinch of garam masala adds flavor to the upma; but this is optional
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.