Thengai roti or coconut roti is one of our family special dish. My mother in law used to prepare this very often for breakfast, only in the weekends. Very simple ingredients and easy to make. Though it seems to be simple, it tastes heavenly. That’s why I wanted to share this fantastic recipe with you all.
There is a recipe called pol roti / Ceylon roti , an authentic Srilankan dish. This is made with maida/all purpose flour and coconut. But this coconut roti completely different, which is made with boiled rice and coconut. I have no clue where this recipe comes from or belong to which tradition. As far as I know, it is my athai’s (mother in law) recipe and we love it.
- Soak time – minimum 1 hour
- Grinding time – 30 minutes
- Cook time -10 mins
- Serves – 2
- Boiled rice / Pulungal arisi – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Grinder / Mixie to grind smooth batter
- Sliced coconuts
- Green chilies
- Wash and soak rice for at least 1 hour to 3 hours
- If you are grinding it in a wet grinder
- Grind together soaked rice and grated coconut along with water and salt
- If you are grinding it in a mixie/Blender
- Option 1: Grind only the rice to a thick smooth batter and refrigerate it. When you want to use, add coconut milk and mix it to a dosa batter consistency with salt
- Option 2: Grind the rice using coconut milk instead of water
- Fermentation? – NO. Once you grind the batter you have to use it immediately. Otherwise freeze or refrigerate it and use
- Batter consistency: should be in dosa batter consistency. But we will not be able to make thin one like dosa. As it has coconut grinded in it, batter will be like smooth, soft and silky like whipped cream and mayonnaise. So we can add a ladle full of batter and spread lightly as possible.
- Heat a dosa pan / griddle. Wipe out the extra oil. Pour a ladle full of batter and spread lightly as possible. If needed sprinkle oil around it. Flip other side.
- Optionally you can also sprinkle some sliced coconut pieces on top of it, before flipping it to other side
Serving: I would recommend and love to eat it as it is without any side dish. Trust me , it tastes good. But if you need side dishes, prefer any spicy gravy, pickles or sugar.
Very different and tasty breakfast from my mother in law’s recipe, coconut roti / Thengai roti.
- If you want some flavor and spicy taste, add ginger and green chili while
- Adjust red chili or add green chilies for extra spicy
Thank you for watching. Please like and subscribe the HemsLobby You Tube channel.
|Ragi Kanji sweet and salt||https://youtu.be/uKHe1VxXPpo|
|Ragi adai with drumstick leaves||https://youtu.be/t_L10Th7OqY|
|Curd veg sandwich||https://youtu.be/c0igiUScTIU|
|Instant Dosa recipe with left over rice||https://youtu.be/ozLX6HNuSYA|
|Wheat dosa – instant and crispy – in 15 mins||https://youtu.be/1xeBmq-_Gzg|
|Cheesy veg sandwich||https://youtu.be/9IiBcgo374A|